I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
Say goodbye to those pesky red tones in your hair and hello to hair that’s as hot as you are!
We, girls, love to play with our hair. Be it hairstyle, hair length, or hair color, we never get tired of experimentation. And the recent obsession with coloring hair in different shades of rainbow feels so liberating! Red, blue, green, orange- we have got so many colors to experiment with. Why just stick to our natural hair color?
But if you frequently color your home either at home or at a salon, you may have noticed the ugly red tone in your hair that ruins your complete look. The brassiness of the red color can make its way immediately after the hair treatment or after a couple of weeks. But once it’s there, you will find it hard to ignore the irritating reddish tone in your hair.
Is it possible to neutralize red tones in the hair at home? The answer is YES! Babe, there are proven remedies and solutions leveraging which you can get rid of the redness in your hair. Wanna know more? Scroll down and keep reading!
Let’s Evaluate Your Hair Situation
Before you jump straight into the process of neutralizing red tones in your hair, it’s important to do some serious self-reflection and assess your hair situation. This evaluation will help you avoid any hair-raising disasters and achieve a stunning outcome.
So, let’s dive into the two critical steps that will help you evaluate your hair situation with a keen eye for detail.
1. Identifying Your Hair Type
First things first, you need to identify your hair type to determine which products and methods are most suitable for your luscious locks.
- Texture: Whether you have straight strands that can’t hold a curl or bouncy coils that have a mind of their own, the texture of your hair plays a crucial role in deciding what works best for you
- Thickness: Whether you have hair that’s thick enough to make a lion jealous or fine hair that’s as delicate as a spider’s web, or you lie in between.
- Level of damage: The overall health and condition of your hair will also be a significant factor since damaged hair needs extra TLC and a gentler approach.
2. Determining the Severity of Red Tones
Next up, let’s talk about the severity of the red pigments.
Are they just a hint of red that only shows up under certain lighting, or are they so bright that they can be spotted from space? Oh, they can also be moderate, where red tones are apparent but not too vivid and can be seen from a distance.
The intensity of the red tones will determine the techniques that will be most effective in neutralizing them.
If the red tones are mild, then subtle methods will suffice, but if they’re intense and visible from afar, you might need to take drastic measures to get the job done.
Tips on How to Neutralize Red Tones in Hair at Home
There are a couple of ways that you would want to know to tackle the red tones in your hair. Sharing them here so that you can take care of your luscious locks and get rid of the brassiness in your hair.
1. Use green toning shampoo
The green color is considered to be the best when it comes to neutralizing red hair tones. It sits opposite the red color in the color wheel and serves as a successful neutralizer. Blue and purple colors, too, are good for neutralizing the redness in your hair. However, green is considered to be the most effective option.
The green toning shampoo is easily available in your nearest drugstore or online. However, if you are still not able to access green shampoo, add a few drops of green edible food coloring to your shampoo 😉
How to use green toning shampoo for neutralizing red tones in hair?
- First of all, you will need to dampen your hair.
- Next, use the green toning shampoo to form a lather in your hair. If you have thick hair, then first divide your hair into multiple sections and then apply the shampoo to your hair.
- Cover your hair completely with this shampoo.
- Leave the shampoo on your hair for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then rinse your hair thoroughly with normal water. Take your time and wash your hair completely.
Have a look in the mirror and check if all the red tones have come out or not. In case you still see some redness in your hair, babe, you need to redo the process. Reapply the green toning shampoo and wait again to let the unwanted tones come out completely.
Again rinse your hair and check if all the redness has vanished. Now apply a conditioner and then leave it in your hair for deep conditioning. You can further rinse your hair with room temperature water.
Now here’s what to keep in mind while applying green-toning shampoo!
- Use green toning shampoo to neutralize the redness in your hair if you have brown or black hair. Avoid it in case you have light-colored hair.
- Do not go overboard with the green food color. Otherwise, you will end up looking like She-Hulk!
- Dye your hair with darker shades.
Here’s another thing that you can try at home to get rid of red tones in your hair. Try an ammonia-free due that is a few shades darker than your natural hair color. This dark-shaded hair color will offer ample coverage to your reddish tone.
First of all, start by applying vaseline around your hairline, ears, forehead and nape of your neck. This is done to create a barrier between your hair dye and your hair.
Then divide your hair into multiple sections. Now apply the hair color in each section and coat them thoroughly. You can use a color processing cap to avoid any kind of a mess. After leaving the hair color for a specific period of time on your hair, proceed to wash your hair thoroughly. Apply shampoo and conditioner on hair as per following the instructions on the color package.
2. Leverage ash shades to tackle with red hues
Ash shades are considered to be calming shades. They work magically to neutralize the reddish or orangish tone in your hair. You can try any semi-permanent or even permanent ash hair color to nullify the brassiness in your hair.
Just follow the process of applying color to your hair that I mentioned above and you are good to go!
3. use an effective Hair color remover
If you are not sure about dyeing your hair with ash or dark hair color or do not want to wash your hair with green, purple, or blue toning shampoo, then you can try this option as well.
Basically, you will need a hair color corrector or color remover to even out the red tone in your hair. What I personally love about this hack is that the color corrector is not as harsh as hair bleach. All it does is enter your gorgeous locks, work thoroughly on your hair shaft, and then get rid of the red color molecules.
After applying the color corrector to your hair and washing them thoroughly with water, you will notice that the red tone has vanished into thin air.
Applying hair color remover is one of the most effective ways of bidding adieu to your brassy red hair.
home remedies for neutralizing red tones in hair
As with all DIY treatments, it is needless to say that these may or may not work. They are not 100% but if you are desperate, they are equally safe to try!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Grab yourself a spray bottle and mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Spray it all over your hair after shampooing, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse it off. Not only will it help neutralize red tones, but it will also balance the pH of your hair and give it a lustrous shine.
2. Green tea mix
For all you tea lovers out there, we’ve got green tea on the menu. Brew some green tea and let it cool, then apply it to your hair and let it sit for 30-40 minutes before rinsing it off. Green tea is a natural way to reduce redness and give your hair some much-needed TLC.
3. lemon juice
Last but not least, we have the zesty lemon juice. Mix lemon juice and water in equal parts, apply it to your hair, and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing it off. The natural bleaching properties of lemon juice will help neutralize unwanted red tones and give your hair a fresh, bright look.
4. Add green food dye
This one’s so easy if you’ve got the dye. Just add a small amount of green dye into your conditioner and use it as it is. Green is the perfect color to neutralize red and this DIY will act as a color-depositing hair mask for you!
Products that are Highly Efficient in Neutralizing Red Tones in Hair and Maintaining the Overall Health of Your Curls!
Here are a couple of products that you can use to tone down the brassiness in your hair. Check ‘em out!
1. Matrix Total Results Dark Envy shampoo
The shampoo and conditioner that they have got are way more than just “Perfect” for dark or brown hair. A highly reliable and renowned brand, Matrix Total is one of the best green toning shampoos and conditioners for tackling the brassy hair. You can get the shampoo and conditioner duo from any online or offline store.
What I love about this product is that it offers results in just one use. Of course, you will not get drastic results. But one wash is enough to compare your before and after pictures!
And the light fragrance of cedar, jasmine, and citrus simply blows my mind away. I find it super soothing!
Plus, the product is highly affordable. You must definitely give it a dry, babe!
2. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Brass Toning Purple Shampoo & conditioner
If green is not your color, try this purple toning shampoo. Its creamy consistency, mild fragrance, and sulfate-free formulation work so well in retaining my hair color. The brassiness goes away in a couple of applications. Have this in your bathroom closet and you won’t have to frequently visit your colorist to retain your hair color. The product is highly efficient in preventing brassiness in your hair.
3. Color Oops hair color remover
This one is perhaps the best color-removing product for my hair I have come across in my life! The results it offers in one use are simply insane!
You just have to apply it like any other hair dye. Just make sure that your hair is dry and untreated before you apply Color Oops. I prefer shampooing twice after washing off Color Oops from my hair. Then I go on and deep condition my hair to get that extra splash of moisture locked into my curls.
4. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Weightless Blow Dry Primer
Looking for the best heat protectant for your hair? Try L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Weightless Blow Dry Primer. Its natural ingredients nourish your hair strands. Also, the formulation is absolutely light in weight and non-sticky. It is highly effective in protecting your hair against heat and sun rays.
Also, it tames flyaways and frizzy hair effortlessly. Get salon-like hair with this product in no time, all the while protecting your hair from excessive heat.
Tips and Tricks to Avoid That Redness in Your Hair
- Once you give color treatment to your hair to neutralize the red tone, it is necessary that you take extra care of your curls. They will be thirsty AF and you, my dear, have to hydrate them persistently. Condition, deep condition, and do a bit more! Only then will you be able to maintain the health and glow of your hair. Also, this will prevent your hair from developing red tones.
- I would suggest you choose professional toning shampoos and color correctors over DIY solutions, as the former has a higher degree of reliability and offer better results.
- While using a green toning shampoo, keep checking your hair color frequently. The moment you feel that the green tone has started sitting in a bit too aggressively, wash out the shampoo thoroughly with water.
- Always use a color-safe shampoo to retain the results of your color treatment. These shampoos are formulated to prevent the brassiness of your hair. They prevent the fading away of hair color thereby protecting your hair from red hue developments.
- Once you have colored your hair, darling, you need to be extra protective about the heat treatments. Either you blow dry your hair or straighten it, heat application will turn your colored hair brassy. Also, exposing your colored hair to harsh sunrays will yield similar results. Therefore, investing in heat protectants is a complete non-negotiable. You can use it to protect your hair from heat treatments and harmful rays of the sun. Heat protectants play a significant role in offering longevity to your colored hair.
- Seek professional help! – Visit a renowned and experienced colorist and reap the advantages of his knowledge and experience. A professional colorist will have adequate knowledge of hair type, skin complexion, base color, different types of color treatments available, and so on. Even if you have DIYed your hair color treatment, the next step involves seeking expert suggestions and recommendations so that your hair does not go red in a couple of months.
Wrapping Up how to neutralize red tone in hair
We all love to flaunt those colorful hair strands! But when it comes to maintenance, most of us pay zero attention to everyday hair care. And that’s exactly why your hair turns brassy sooner or later.
Try the hair care tips and tricks to retain your hair color, and also get yourself the products that will help you tone down the brassiness in your hair.
Babe, the key is to love and pamper your hair enough to retain those bold and beautiful shades for as long as possible! Do lemme know if you need any more help with hair color treatments, hair toning products, and so on. I will be more than happy to help ya’ll!
See you soon, boo!
related articles to how to neutralize red tone in hair
- How To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without A Bleach
- How To Get Purple Shampoo Out Of Hair
- How To Clarify Hair: A Definitive Guide You Cannot Miss
- How Often Should You Condition Your Hair?
- Why Does My Hair Smell Bad Even After Washing?