If You Need Your Skin To Glow From Within, Add This The Ordinary Skincare Routine, And You’ll Feel Blessed!
Ahh, The Ordinary! Being a skincare fanatic, I can say I have tried my fair share of skincare products. But even then, there are just a few brands I trust and use and that I know will be on my skincare shelf for a long time. The Ordinary being one!
Is there even a doubt that it works? Whatever skin concern you choose, if The Ordinary has a product (oh, they will have, most probably) for that, you know it is going to work! I call them my magic potion, they just have the most perfectly combined active ingredients and need I remind you of their cute bottle packaging?
But enough about them already!
Because even when there are 100 things to talk about, their enormously large variety of products often makes it tricky for average people like you with no or low knowledge of skincare ingredients and what to use when and how.
Ya, you know the ordinary peeling solution is good, but how to freakin’ use it, so you don’t burn the skin. Yes, you might have heard a lot about salicylic and glycolic acids, but can you use them with vitamin c or hyaluronic acid?
There’s just too much information!!!
Enter: Me! Let me quickly make you the best The ordinary skincare routine for your current skin type and issues so you don’t have to worry about damaging the skin in the process of making it look flawless!
So, how to build the ordinary skincare routine?
You know the drill, for any morning skincare routine, you need to include: a cleanser < toner < antioxidant serum < eye cream < spot treatment < moisturizer < face oil < sunscreen
And for the night, it has to go like: double cleansing < toners/boosters < eye cream < treatment < serum < moisturizer < sunscreen
But The Ordinary has its own song playing. It has more than 30 products, and they categorize each of them into 5 different groups. They recommend using them in the order listed below.
- Water-Based Solutions
- Anhydrous (Water-free solution that decongests and lightly exfoliates)
- Suspension *
- Emulsion *
*Depending on the product, The Ordinary recommends that the suspension be applied after the emulsion. Or vice versa.
With this in mind, let’s start building a skincare routine with The Ordinary products for all of us, starting with a simple The Ordinary skincare routine that would work for most skin types.
The ordinary skincare routine: morning
1. Squalane Cleanser
There is only one cleanser in The Ordinary range, The Squalane Cleanser. This product can be used on all skin types safely. It is a gentle gel-based cleanser that doesn’t make your skin dry or extra oily. It’s just perfect no matter what your skin concern is.
2. Caffeine eye serum
Honestly, if you don’t struggle with puffy eyes or dark circles, feel free to skip this step. But if you can’t get a good night’s sleep, then this eye serum is a savior!
It has a very thin formula jam-packed with caffeine that aids in reducing inflammations and adds brightness to those pesky dark circles.
2. antioxidant serum
[ Related Article: 10 Best The Ordinary Products For Acne Scars That Actually Work ]
Antioxidants are essential for healthy skin because they help protect against free radicals, which can damage cells and lead to premature aging.
And serums with antioxidants are obviously a great way to get extra protection against them, along with improving the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and other signs of aging.
I have used both ascorbic acid and niacinamide serum from The Ordinary, and I have to give them points for being awesome at what they do.
2. hyaluronic acid serum
If you need to make your skin look nice, supple, and healthy, go with hyaluronic acid serum without a doubt.
- If you have oily skin and want lightweight hydration, the marine hyaluronic is a great option. It’s super light and quickly absorbs into the skin with no pilling.
- If you have dry skin or fine lines, you will need something stronger. I recommend buying Hyaluronic Acid + B5. It is an excellent all-rounder to include in your skincare rotation. It can be used with retinol and even copper peptides.
Don’t worry, most products can be layered with hyaluronic acid. It’s great for skincare newbies who are just starting to use actives and want some extra hydration.
2. natural moisturizing factors
End your The Ordinary skincare routine with emulsions – The natural moisturizing factor
Emulsions are like the holy grail of skincare. They’re lightweight, hydrating/moisturizing products that easily absorb into your skin and give it an even tone without feeling greasy or oily!
The ordinary skincare routine: Night
1. double cleanse with Squalane Cleanser
After a day of work and face with makeup, I normally suggest you start with double cleansing. You know, the good ol’ oil massage followed by a cleanser.
But what if you don’t wear makeup? Then simply go with the squalane cleanser to give other products a clean slate to work on.
Yes, The Ordinary has quite a few treatments for different issues. But they are quite harsh for beginners and sensitive skin alike. So I recommend using them only if you know what the correct and safe way is.
Like their salicylic acid mask or AHA BHA peeling solution is not for everyone.
However, if you want a little exfoliation but don’t wanna damage the skin even by mistake, try their glycolic acid toner. It’s a very gentle exfoliating formula that swipes away dead skin cells to give you a smoother, clearer skin complexion.
2. hyaluronic acid serum/squalane serum
Obviously, who has bad things to say about this? As we already talked about, adding hyaluronic acid to your nighttime skincare routine would ensure you wake up with supple, radiant skin.
Use hyaluronic acid 5% if you have dry skin. And marina hyaluronic acid if you have oily skin.
If not hyaluronic acid, go with plant-derived squalane serum for a change. It’s a beautiful alternative that hydrates your skin while supporting its natural moisture barrier. It is basically a fast-absorbing oil-like serum used for enhanced hydration.
2. natural moisturizing factors
Seal all of the good things in with a moisturizing emulsion. And you are good to sleep!
This is a very simple The Ordinary skincare routine safe for most skin types. You can obviously add and subtract the products as per your wish, but only when you know how to layer them.
the ordinary skincare routine for oily acne-prone skin
I’ve struggled a lot in the past to find products that wouldn’t clog my pores, make my face look greasier, or make me react. So when I finally found one with Tha Ordinary, I knew I had to stick to it!
- Squalane cleanser – Because there is no other choice.
- Glycolic acid toner – is an excellent exfoliator and gets rid of dead skin cells in one swipe.
- Niacinamide + zinc – I LOVE it for brightening and waking up my face in the morning. Plus, acne scars stay away too.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – Close everything in with a lightweight emulsion that won’t clog your pores.
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 – Especially important because of all the active ingredients like glycolic acid and niacinamide.
- Squalane cleanser – The basic.
- The Ordinary peeling solution – Use it once or twice a week, but it’s so effective for combating acne, scars, hyperpigmentation, congestion, and black/whiteheads that you’ll get obsessed.
- Or Salicylic Acid 2% Masque – If you want a gentler version of the above peel, go for this. It deep cleanses and removes dead skin cells and excess oil to promote soft and smooth skin.
- Niacinamide + zinc – For brightening, hydrating, and healthy skin to wake up.
- Caffeine solution 5% – if necessary.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – The usual moisturizing emulsion.
the ordinary skincare routine for aging skin
I have a full guide on building The ordinary routine for aging skin, so feel free to check that out. But if you want a compact version of that, here it is:
- The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser – the one and only cleanser that they have. But it’s so gentle that it works for everyone.
- The Ordinary Resveratrol & Ferulic Acid – Resveratrol and Ferulic Acid are two of the most potent and significant antioxidants in skincare.
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 – Aging skin needs good amounts of hydration to tackle wrinkles and this serum gives just that.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – Seal all of the goodness in with a lightweight emulsion.
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 – Your morning routine just cannot end without sunscreen.
The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser – Of course!
The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 – Will enhance hydration even more and nourish and plump tired, aging skin.
Or The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + HA Serum – It does a little bit of everything for your skin.
Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion – This creamy treatment helps address fine wrinkles, acne, and discoloration while gliding softly over the face.
Caffeine solution 5% – is just what you need if you are looking to get rid of puffiness and dark circles.
Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – To lock it all in!
The ordinary skincare routine for dry skin
My mom has dry skin, and she’s always whining about how no moisturizer is able to hydrate her skin well and that she always feels she needs to put on a moisturizer every 4-5 hours.
So to tackle dry skin, here’s what I recommended to her, and I will you too. She said she now needs to reapply after 8-9 hours which she’s verryyyy happy about.
- Squalane cleanser – The one and only option.
- Amino Acids + B5 – This is their new launch, but boy, it works! It’s like splashing water on the face.
- Or Marine Hyaluronic – And if hyaluronic acid doesn’t work for your dry, tight skin, give this a try. It’s more concentrated.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – The only moisturizer you need to lock it all in.
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 – There’s no doubt about sunscreen, or do you?
- Squalane cleanser – Try double cleansing with a balm or oil.
- Amino Acids + B5 – For that boost of hydration.
- Caffeine solution 5% – To get rid of dark circles.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – To seal it in.
Conflicting The Ordinary skincare products
How to layer The Ordinary skincare products
Here’s the best guide to check out what products to use together, what are a disaster, and how to layer The ordinary products like a pro!
But for a quick reference, here’s what you should do.
AM routine – Start with cleaning your face with The Ordinary Squalane Cleaner. Post that, take a few drops of toner on your palm or on a cotton pad and apply it all over your face and neck. Wait for 3-5 minutes and let it dry off.
Now take a few drops of any serum you’re going to use and apply it either directly on your face using the dropper or pouring on your palm and then applying it all over your face and neck. Wait again for 3-5 minutes, and let that penetrate deep into your skin. Now apply your moisturizer and layer it with sunscreen.
PM Routine – Start with double cleansing your face and neck with cleaner. Go ahead and apply any peeling solution or masque if needed. Rinse it off and then apply 3-5 drops of the serum of your choice and apply it on the face and neck, same as guided above.
Now take 2 drops of eye solution and apply it under your eyes very delicately with your ring finger. Wait for 3-5 mins and finish it off with your favorite moisturizer.
wrapping up how to build the ordinary skincare routine
Having a proper skincare regime is like a treasure for most skincare junkies out there. I hope this article helped you out and solved most of your queries regarding building a proper The Ordinary skincare routine!
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them down below in the comments section. As always, thanks for reading, and have a great day!