I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
Jeans on the agenda? We’ve got your back (and your booty)!
Picture this: you’re scrolling through your favorite clothing website or browsing a chic boutique, and you finally stumble upon that jaw-dropping pair of jeans you’ve been searching for.
But hold on a second – will they actually fit right? Or will it just be another fashion failure sitting at the back of your closet?
Take a deep breath and relax because together, we’re going to nail finding jeans that fit perfectly like a second skin. Let’s dive right in!
First things first, Know Yourself and Your Body type
The key to finding those magical jeans begins with a solid understanding of your body type. Are you a curvy queen? A slender sensation? A petite powerhouse?
Familiarize yourself – be a body detective and find out your body type by focusing on your hips, waist, and shoulders. Don’t forget to consider factors like your waist, hip, thigh circumference, and inseam length. (More on this later)
- Hourglass (Lucky you!) – Your hips and shoulders are balanced and you have a well-defined waist.
- Pear (Boasting that Beyoncé bootay) – Your hips are wider than your shoulders and you have a smaller waist.
- Apple (You saucy thing) – You carry weight around your midsection and have a wider waist.
- Rectangle (Model vibes all day, every day) – Your shoulders, hips, and waist are roughly the same width.
Once you’ve solved the mystery of your body type, it’s time to find the perfect jeans to flatter your figure.
1. Best Jeans for Hourglass Shapes
Aim for: Balancing your curves and accentuating your small waist.
High Waisted Jeans
These gems sit at your natural waist, highlighting your curves while preventing the unwanted “muffin top” (bye-bye, muffins).
Bootcut or Flared Jeans
A slight flare from the knee helps balance out your hips and gives you that sleek, elongated look – leggy goddess alert!
2. Best Jeans for Pear Shapes
Aim for: Creating balance between your hips and shoulders, and emphasizing your narrow waist.
Straight Leg Jeans
Straight leg jeans are the perfect middle ground between fitted and relaxed, creating a gorgeous proportionate silhouette.
Dark Wash Jeans
Darker washes are slimming and make your legs look longer. Pair them with a lighter-colored top to draw attention upward.
3. Best Jeans for Apple Shapes
Aim for: Creating the illusion of curvy hips and a defined waist.
Mid-rise jeans sit just below your belly button, offering comfort and a smooth, contoured fit.
Straight or Slightly Flared Jeans
These styles will elongate your legs and balance your proportions. Avoid super-tight or tapered jeans – harmony is key!
4. Best Jeans for Rectangle Shapes
Aim for: Adding some curve and dimension to your figure.
Low to Mid-Rise Jeans
These encourage the waistband to sit slightly lower, giving the illusion of more curves (hello, Coca-Cola bottle shape!).
Jeans with Pocket Detail
Embellishments on the back pockets of your jeans can add some volume and draw attention to your bootylicious behind.
Now, onto more tips on finding jeans that fit perfectly –
1. Comfort Is Key
No one wants to feel like they’re being squeezed to death by their jeans. You want a pair that’s comfortable enough to wear all day without constantly adjusting or feeling restricted. Look for jeans with a little bit of stretch in the fabric to ensure maximum comfort.
There are basically 3 kinds of jeans, comfort & stretch wise, so check for these before buying your next pair –
- Super Stretch: These babies are made of 92% cotton, with the rest being spandex. They’re like wearing a cloud! Super comfy but beware – they might lose their shape over time.
- Comfort Stretch: A more balanced blend, usually around a 6:4 ratio of cotton to spandex. Maybe not the comfiest ever, but they’ll last longer and hold their shape like a champ.
- No Stretch: 100% cotton and a bit tough at first, but wait for it – these jeans will gradually stretch and mold to your body, becoming your perfect partners in crime.
- Oh, and make sure you can sit down without any fabric awkwardness! 😅
2. Quality Matters – Say No to Saggy Jeans!
We’ve all had that one pair of jeans that stretched out and lost their shape after just a few wears. Not the look you were going for, right?
To avoid disappointment, be sure to invest in jeans made from high-quality materials. Look for brands with good reviews and a reputation for durable denim.
Apart from that, what do you think actually determines the quality of a denim? Um, the spandex, of course! And here’s a quick way of finding out if the quality is worth shelling out money for –
- Rock those jeans in the fitting room.
- Do a little jig (c’mon, it’s fun!).
- Check if the fabric magically snaps back to its original shape and size.
If it does, you’ve got yourself a winner, babe! But if it doesn’t, it’s time to search for your next denim dream.
Trust me, shelling out a bit more for great jeans will pay off in the long run. Plus, your booty will thank you!
3. Inseam Length – The Secret to Long Legs
Inseam length is the measurement from the crotch to the hem of your jeans, and it can make a huge difference in how your jeans fit.
If the inseam is too long, jeans can bunch up at the ankle or drag on the floor (a major fashion no-no!). Too short, and you’ll be sporting the dreaded “high waters.”
Pay close attention to the inseam length when you’re shopping, and don’t be afraid to get jeans hemmed if needed. But is there an ideal number to aim for when it comes to inseams? Yes, absolutely!
Long legs? You’re gonna want an inseam of 32-34 inches. For most peeps, 30 inches is where it’s at, and you can even cuff ’em if you’re feeling extra stylish. Petite squad, I didn’t forget about you! There’s a 27-inch inseam designed just for you, flaunting some sexy ankle (aka ankle-length jeans)!
4. Pockets on Point – Size Does Matter
You know what they say: the devil’s in the details. The size and placement of pockets on your jeans can impact how your backside looks. And here’s what all you need to know:
- Medium pockets, close together: Look for jeans with mid-sized pockets, placed closely to one another, and watch as your bum goes from flat to fab! Smaller pockets can make your booty appear larger and rounder, while bigger pockets can create a slimming effect.
- Pocket-to-butt line distance: A solid space between the bottom of the pocket and your booty line will create a rounder, lifted appearance.
- Deep yokes for curvy perks: The yoke (that V-shaped area above your pockets) makes all the difference. The deeper the yoke, the more your butt will curve and stand out.
Just make sure the pockets aren’t too small that you can’t even fit in your phone, keys, or lip balm! #priorities
5. Get Colorful – The Perfect Shade for You
Choosing the perfect color for your jeans is a personal preference. Classic blue is always a safe bet, but don’t be afraid to experiment with different hues.
Dark wash jeans are great for a more dressed-up look, while lighter washes are perfect for casual days. Black jeans are a wardrobe staple and can be dressed up or down effortlessly.
6. Keep Your Eyes on the Rise
Knowing which rise will suit your frame best is a total game-changer. There’s a scale of waistband heights that range from low-rise to high-rise – and everything in between:
- Low-rise: creates a lengthening effect on your legs, perfect for those with short torsos;
- Mid-rise: the sweet spot for most body types, offering the right balance of comfort and style;
- High-rise: perfect for elongating and accentuating an hourglass figure, as well as for petite frames;
7. Put Your Priorities in Ordering
Let’s prioritize! What features are essential to you in a pair of jeans? Is it more about comfort or style? Are you after the ultimate contouring effect or a more relaxed vibe?
Analyze your closet, and note down your preferences, so when it’s time to get shopping, you’ll be armed with a clear vision to achieve denim destiny.
8. Try Before You Buy – Never Skip the Fitting Room
We know, trying on clothes can sometimes feel like a chore. But trust us, it’s worth it for the perfect pair of jeans! Different brands and styles fit differently, so don’t rely on just your usual size.
Take the time to try on multiple pairs in different sizes and styles to find what works best for you.
And remember, don’t be too hard on yourself if something doesn’t fit – we all have unique bodies, and finding the right jeans can be a journey. Just keep trying until you find your perfect match!
9. Mix It Up – Don’t Stick to Just One Style
The beauty of jeans is that there are so many different styles to choose from! While having a go-to pair is great, don’t limit yourself.
Try out different cuts like straight-leg, boyfriend, or bootcut. You never know, you might end up falling in love with a style you never considered before. And hey, if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try out some fun embellishments like embroidery or distressing?
Fashion is all about having fun and expressing yourself, so don’t be afraid to mix it up and make it your own!
Cool Jean Hacks for On-the-Go Peeps!
1. Wrap it around your neck
In a hurry or just tired of trying on jeans at the mall? Here’s a quick trick: wrap buttoned-up jeans around your neck! As long as there’s no slack, they’re your perfect fit. If there’s only a little slack, you might get some waistband gapping. If they’re not even touching, just walk away!
2. Ditch the dryer
Want your fave jeans to last longer? Keep ’em out of the dryer! Instead, hang them to dry for a perfect fit every time. Dryers cause the heat to mess with that good ol’ spandex (which is basically plastic) that maintains the original shape of your jeans. No spandex = baggy fit.