I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
New to this stellar ingredient? Know how to use vitamin C serum and all the nitty gritty so you can get radiant skin safely!
If you are a beauty fanatic, then I am sure you must have heard about Vitamin C serum. From beauty and skincare influencers to industry experts, everyone is going gaga over this miraculous serum. From giving you that youthful radiance to making your skiing buttery soft, vitamin C has multiple benefits. It is just not possible to ignore this serum!!
However, the sheer volume of expert advice, reels, and TikTok videos can perplex you and make you feel overwhelmed. If you are wondering how to use vitamin C serum in the simplest manner possible, then this article is all you need.
No more wasting time by surfing nets and hopping from one website to another! Simply scroll down and learn how to apply vitamin C serum to your skincare routine.
So, What’s This Buzz About Vitamin C Serum?
Basically, vitamin C is an extraordinary ingredient that can supply your skin with its numerous benefits if you add it to your everyday skincare regime.
Now some people will argue that consuming a vitamin C-rich diet is enough. And that is absolutely correct, however, a serum touches your skin directly and thus is a direct source of nourishment for your skin. So it’s just a better way to give your skin instant radiance!
Over-the-counter cosmetics, luxe beauty brands, and premium makeup companies are coming up with vitamin C serums to meet the demands of beauty enthusiasts across the globe.
I am here to let you know every detail of this magical potion! Read on to get straight to the details.
Why Your Skin needs the Love of Vitamin C Serum?
Vitamin C serums nourish your skin in more ways than one! Let’s find out what a bottle of vitamin C serum can do to your skin:
1. It adds that dreamy, radiating glow to your face.
Vitamin C serums are highly efficient in removing pigmentations from your skin, thereby adding that glow to your face. Basically, the job of vitamin C serum is to lower melanin production. The lower the level of melanin, the higher will be the radiance on your face.
2. It offers an even skin tone.
Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, vitamin C serums can reduce the puffiness on your face and also soothe your skin. It is also responsible for removing the redness of your skin, thereby offering an even skin tone.
3. It hydrates your skin.
Vitamin C serums penetrate deep through the layers of your skin and keep it deeply moisturized. Basically, the serum increases the ability of your skin to retain moisture and make it look supple and well-nourished.
4. It helps you get rid of your stubborn dark circles.
I know, babe, your hectic lifestyle is taking a toll on your skin. This is evident from those panda eyes!
I have a suggestion for you. Apply vitamin C serum daily under your eyes and massage with light hands. Soon, you will witness noticeable differences.
5. It boosts collagen production.
Collagen is a form of protein that occurs naturally in your skin. But with increasing age, collagen level tends to go down.
Vitamin C serum is known for its collagen-boosting abilities. And because of collage synthesis, your skin looks much younger. Skin elasticity increases manifolds, thereby bidding adieu to fine lines and wrinkles.
6. It protects your skin from harmful UV rays.
Stepping out in the sun can result in sun damage if you are not using suitable sun protection. Vitamin C serums can heal your damaged skin and soothe it to a great extent.
7. It prevents breakouts on your skin.
The anti-inflammatory property of vitamin C makes this serum an apt remedy for preventing acne formation on your skin. The serum is also effective in reducing the size of pimples and alleviating irritation and pain.
Here’s How to Use Vitamin C Serum on Your Skin correctly
Now that you know how beneficial this serum can be, you must be eager to start using it. Hold on! Let me guide you through the intricacies of using this amazing serum on your skin!
- As we all know, your face should be like a clean canvas so that the serum seeps in through different layers of your skin. So, start with cleansing your face with a mild cleanser.
- Once you are done cleansing your face, apply a toner to remove any remaining layer of gunk and open your skin pores. I love to use this glycolic acid toner and trust me when I say this, you cannot get a better combo than this. Glycolic acid and Vitamin C are the besties you need in your life!
- *Drumrolls* Now has come the much-awaited time!
- Take a coin-sized amount of serum on your fingers and rub it for 4-5 seconds to warm it up. Next, apply a thin layer of serum on your face and neck region. Don’t forget to massage it under your eyes. Wait for a couple of seconds so that the serum can be absorbed completely within your skin.
- You don’t have to be harsh while massaging it. I like to use the gentle tapping motion, just like how you’d use a beauty blender.
- Seal the vitamin C serum in your skin by applying a layer of moisturizer.
- Lastly, apply sunscreen before stepping out of your home/workplace/college. You can skip this step if you are using vitamin C in the evening.
When to use vitamin C serum?
Well, you can use vitamin C serum any time of the day, AM or PM, but I usually use it in the morning at least 25-30 minutes before heading out.
Also, if you decide to use it in the morning, just make sure that you don’t get out in the sun directly after applying it.
How long does vitamin c serum take to work?
Most people begin to notice the effects of vitamin C serum after a few weeks of regular use. The results may vary depending on the product and your skin type, but usually, the best results can be seen after 3-4 weeks when used twice a day.
What is the Shelf Life of Vitamin C Serum?
Generally, the expiry date of vitamin C depends on the type and concentration of vitamin C (more on that soon). The serum, while being used, can easily last for about 3 to 6 months. And if you have not yet opened the product, it will last for about 1 and a half years or so.
To make it last longer, make sure the product is in the dark, sealed bottle or tube, and you’re storing it in a cool, dry place, away from the sunlight. The lesser it comes in contact with the sun, the longer it will last!
Who Can Use Vitamin C Serum?
Vitamin C serum can be used by anyone, irrespective of their age. All you need to take care of is your skin type and the concentration of vitamin C in the serum.
I think, it is better to use vitamin C serum before your skin shows signs of aging. So possibly in your 20s but if you didn’t, today is the best time!
And since the serum also offers protection from sun damage and caters to certain skin issues, you should try to include vitamin C serum in your skincare routine without much delay.
10 Common Mistakes You Must Avoid at all Costs While using Vitamin C Serum
- Are you layering your skin with multiple skincare products? Then remember not to combine vitamin C serums with retinol, AHAs, BHAs, and benzoyl peroxide as they do not go well together and irritate the heck out of your skin.
- If you have active acne, you should NOT use vitamin C. Correct your acne first and then incorporate it into your routine.
- Do not rub vitamin C between your palms. It’ll just make the serum ineffective.
- If you are struggling with itching, redness, or any kind of irritation or skin peeling, steer clear from vitamin C as it’ll only aggravate the situation.
- Never use vitamin C on damp skin, as it can cause irritation in many people, especially sensitive skin types.
- Exfoliate your face regularly so that the vitamin C serum seeps deep into the layers of your skin.
- It is better to go for a vitamin C serum that comes in a tinted, dark glass bottle accompanied by an airless pump. This packaging ensures that the serum stays protected from oxygen, light, and water contamination.
- Always store your vitamin C serum in a cold area away from sunlight exposure and moisture.
- Initially, your skin may take time to adjust to vitamin C serum. But once it gets habitual of the serum, there’s no looking back, darling!
- Always check the concentration of vitamin C in a serum. It may range somewhere between 2% to 20%. If the concentration is too high, then consider opting for a patch test.
Here’s a checklist of skin types and vitamin C suitability. Hope it helps!
|Skin type||Vitamin C concentration you should use|
|Dry skin||Less than 10%|
|Sensitive skin||Less than 10%|
How to Use Different Types of Vitamin C Serum
Now you may not believe it, but there are so many kinds of vitamin C available in the market that you often get confused between what to choose and what is for whom. So let’s shut that debate once and for all!
1. Sodium Ascorbate
This is a mineral salt and the purest version of vitamin C. It pampers your skin with multiple benefits, such as removing pigmentation, protecting your skin from free radicals and so on.
When you apply sodium ascorbate to your skin, it turns into ascorbic acid. This reduces the chances of irritation and redness on your skin.
2. Ascorbic Acid
It is one of the most popular categories of vitamin C serum and is known for its skin-brightening properties. It can penetrate deep into your skin and offer magical anti-aging benefits.
In case you have sensitive skin, you should opt for ascorbic acid with a higher pH level.
Also, if you are fed up with hyperpigmentation, then you should get yourself this serum with about 15% to 20% concentration of ascorbic acid.
Your skin type is also a factor that you should consider when buying ascorbic acid serum. If you have normal or oily skin types, then L-ascorbic acid is best for you.
3. Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate
If you are in search of a less intense vitamin C serum, then look out for sodium ascorbyl phosphate on the label. It is absolutely suitable for different skin types and has exemplary complexion-boosting properties.
For sensitive skin types, sodium ascorbyl phosphate is like a blessing in disguise as it feels less irritating on the skin.
4. Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
This one will keep your skin moisturized and also offer a soothing sensation to heal the inflammation on your face. And that’s why you must grab this vitamin C serum if you have acne-prone skin. It can easily prevent the occurrence of nasty blackheads on your T -zone. Also, the serum effectively removes acne scars from your face.
5. Ascorbyl Palmitate
Looking for a one-stop solution for all your skin woes? Ascorbyl Palmitate is at your disposal, miss!
First of all, it does not at all irritate your skin. Next, it is known for its collagen-boosting abilities. Also, on regular application, you can notice a significant improvement in your skin texture and complexion.
6. Calcium Ascorbate
This version of vitamin C is also known as Ester C. It is extremely popular among beauty enthusiasts for its antioxidant defense, collagen synthesis, and wound-healing properties. The serum works wonders on mature skin and helps in removing fine lines and wrinkles.
Best Vitamin C serums Your skin will be thankful for
Here are my top 4 favorite picks for you! Choose any one as per your taste and budget. If you’re strict on budget, you cannot miss these drugstore vitamin C serums, because they’re gems!
1. CeraVe Skin Renewing Vitamin C Serum
What I love the most about this product is the fact that it comes in a tube. This leads to minimum wastage, and application also gets easier. Besides, it is quite pocket-friendly.
So, if you have been looking for a cost-effective vitamin C serum, this is your shot!
Also, the serum consists of ceramides, hyaluronic acid and glycerin. And all of these are super helpful in nourishing your skin.
The serum can effectively hydrate, replenish and brighten your skin with regular application.
And not to forget, the product is totally cruelty-free. Yay!
2. Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
Another budget-friendly vitamin C serum, this one consists of pomegranate enzyme, L-ascorbic acid and pumpkin ferment. The ingredients exfoliate dead skin cells on your face and offer a radiant look. Also, I love the packaging of this product as it can easily protect the serum from external factors like oxygen, water and harsh light.
3. Goodal Green Tangerine Vita C Dark Spot Serum+
This vitamin C serum comes in gel-like consistency, making it oily-skin friendly. Vitamin C and niacinamide together work to offer an even skin tone. It is also equally helpful in keeping your skin well-moisturized and radiant.
Apart from vitamin C and niacinamide, the serum also consists of hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, vitamin E, turmeric root and allantoin.
Trust me, you will fall in love with the end result. With regular usage, you will experience a noticeable improvement in your skin. It will feel more plump and bouncy.
4. Maelove Glow Maker
This one is a cult favorite among beauty enthusiasts across the globe.
The simple and no-nonsense formula of this product keeps your skin hydrated and healthy. Also, the serum is thin in consistency and feels light on your skin. You can easily apply other products over the serum without feeling stickiness.
Potential Side Effects and Risks Involved in Using Vitamin C Serum, Especially for Beginners
On a scale of 1 to 10, vitamin C serum can be considered a 7 when it comes to skin toleration. But you should be cautious of the ingredients used in the serum. In case you are allergic to any one of them, make sure you avoid that particular serum altogether.
2. Dryness, flaky skin and redness:
Usually, vitamin C serum is suitable for all skin types except for sensitive skin types. So, if you have a sensitive skin type, then consult your dermatologist before grabbing a bottle of vitamin C serum.
3. Yellowish tint:
In rare cases, vitamin C serum may leave a yellow tint on your skin and clothes.
Wrapping Up how to use vitamin c serum!
Hey, pretty lady! I have decoded this mystery called “Vitamin C serum” just for you.
Hope you have understood about the product well.
Just know that before jumping onto any skincare trend, it is important to know the product from the inside out. Otherwise, you may have to face severe repercussions!
Now go grab the best vitamin C serum that suits your need and budget. And add it to your everyday skincare routine.
Remember, the more you will pamper your skin, the better you will feel about yourself. So even if till now you have been neglecting your skin, make sure you take this article as a sign and start taking care of your skin NOW!
Know that glowing and healthy skin always makes you feel good from within. And I am saying this from experience!
See you on the other side!
Related articles to how to use vitamin C serum on face
- How To Use Glycolic Acid In Your Skincare Regime
- How To Use Hyaluronic Acid Correctly & Get Plumpy Skin
- How To Use Retinol- A Complete Guide On Using This Magic Skincare Ingredient!
- How To Use Niacinamide- Do’s And Don’ts You Must Know!
- How To Use Body Mist – Lets Perfect Your Fragrance Routine