I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
Get ready to glow with this refreshing and effective shower routine for glowing skin. It’s time to step up, babe!
Do you want glowing, healthy skin? We all do! But did you know that one of the best things you can do for your skin might just be hiding in the shower?
Making some small changes to your shower routine could make a huge difference in your skin’s appearance and health.
So today, let me walk you through exactly what makes a good shower routine for glowing skin so successful, as well as give tips on how to incorporate them into your own routine. Keep reading to learn more — it will be worth it!
Step 1: Pre-Shower Preparation
1. Gather the necessary supplies
You don’t want to move in and out of the bathroom in a wet body just because you forgot your conditioner or razor in the other room. And we all know stress is a no-go when it comes to healthy, radiant skin, so let’s make that shower routine a stress-buster and not a stress-inducer!
Here’s what you need:
- Body scrub
- Body wash
- Loofah or shower puff
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Butt scrub (yep, you heard me right)
- Body lotion
- Towel or bathrobe
- Essential oils (optional)
2. Choose the right water temperature
Turn the shower on and adjust it to your comfortable temperature. Not too hot, not too cold – just enough so that you can spend a long time in there without getting uncomfortable!
While hot showers can zap your skin of its natural oils and leave it feeling dry and sad, cold water might constrict your blood vessels and leave your skin looking less than radiant.
3. Try Dry brushing if you haven’t yet
I never liked the concept of dry brushing until I tried it. 😅
It’s an amazing pre-shower ritual that’ll revolutionize your shower routine for glowing skin. You’ll improve circulation, kiss cellulite goodbye, and get silky smooth skin all at once!
Grab a brush with medium stiffness bristles, and start sweeping it all over your body in circular motions, moving towards your heart. Yeah, it takes some effort, but girl, it’s oh-so worth it.
4. Put on your favorite jams
Don’t forget to hit play on your fave tunes to get in the mood! Not only does music magically melt away stress, but it can also help regulate your breathing and heart rate. After all, who wouldn’t want to turn their mundane shower routine into a superstar concert?
All set? Let’s get into the real part!
5. Cleanse your face & apply a face mask
Now do yourself a favor and prep your skin before hopping in the shower! Wash away all that gunk with your trusty daily cleanser. You know, that goop that accumulates on your face overnight? Gotta love it.
And why stop there? Why not indulge in a little bit of self-care sesh and throw on a face mask? It’s as simple as slathering on a thin layer of your favorite mask all over your gorgeous face (don’t forget your neck and décolletage!).
Let it work its magic for 10-15 minutes, then rinse it off and reveal a fresh, glowing complexion. You’ll feel like a whole new you!
Shop My fav masks
Pumpkin Powerhouse Enzyme Mask
Exfoliates while hydrating the skin. Targets dull, congested complexion. Gives an INSTANT glow!
Watermelon Glow Facial Mask
Non-drying, exfoliating mask with hyaluronic acid. Great for dry, sensitive skin. Gives softer, clearer-looking skin.
Mighty Marshmallow Whipped Mask
Built with natural ingredients. Gives radiant skin within 15 minutes. Improves overall complexion with vitamin C & licorice root extract.
Step 2: Step-by-Step Guide to a shower routine for glowing skin
6. Start with An Invigorating Body Wash
Use an invigorating body wash to kickstart your shower routine. This will help to awaken your senses and leave you feeling energized, ready to take on the day!
Look for a body washes with nourishing ingredients such as shea butter or almond oil, which will help to keep your skin hydrated and looking its best.
I personally have terrible body odor and ingrown hair, so I use an exfoliating body wash from Mario Badescu.
If you have any other issues, choose a body wash that works for them.
Here’s how to choose your body wash –
- Know your skin type. If you got dry skin, look for body washes that moisturize with ingredients like shea butter or coconut oil. If you got oily or acne-prone skin, look for body washes with salicylic acid or tea tree oil. Sensitive skin? Steer clear of sulfates and fragrances, girl.
- Pick a scent that makes you feel like a boss babe. Citrus for a refreshing morning shower or lavender for a relaxing evening shower. The power of scent is real, sis!
- Texture matters, honey. Do you want a creamy and luxurious lather for a pampering shower experience? Or do you prefer a lightweight gel-based formula that’ll get the job done quickly?
- Think about the occasion, too. Peppermint or eucalyptus for an invigorating morning shower, or lavender and chamomile for a chill evening shower. Whether you’re getting ready to slay the day or unwind after a long one, choose a body wash that fits the mood.
7. Then Exfoliate Your Skin Using Natural Ingredients or body scrubs
Repeat after me, “My shower routine for glowing is incomplete without exfoliation”.
For removing dead skin cells and preventing breakouts, you need something that’s effective but also really gentle.
Now you can opt for body scrubs like Tree Hut’s or DIY your own with ingredients straight from your kitchen. I do a mix of both!
So here are some quick and easy body scrub recipes that’ll leave your skin feeling smooth, soft, and glowing like a goddess!
- Brown Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub: This one’s a classic, girl. Mix together 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1/4 cup of coconut oil until it’s all nice and combined. Then, hop in the shower and scrub away. The brown sugar gently exfoliates while the coconut oil moisturizes your skin, leaving it silky smooth and smelling like a tropical vacation.
- Coffee and Olive Oil Scrub: Time to wake up and smell the coffee! Mix 1/2 cup of coffee grounds with 1/4 cup of olive oil until it’s all blended. Then, scrub it on your entire body and let the caffeine do its thing. The coffee grounds will exfoliate, and the olive oil will hydrate, leaving your skin looking and feeling fabulous.
- Lemon and Sea Salt Scrub: This one’s perfect for a quick and refreshing scrub, babe. Mix together 1/2 cup of coarse salt with the juice of one lemon until it forms a paste. Then, scrub it all over your body, paying extra attention to rough spots like your knees and elbows. The salt will slough away dead skin cells while the lemon brightens and tightens your skin, leaving you feeling like a radiant queen.
my fav body scrubs
Shea Sugar Scrub
I have not seen a better drugstore body scrub than this. It smells delicious AF & does exactly what it’s supposed to do. But nothing more (like getting rid of ingrown hairs, etc).
First Aid Beauty
KP Bump Eraser Body Scrub
I do not have enough words to describe how this product has changed my life forever. If you have little bumps on your skin, PLEASE get this gem!
8. Have an easy but effective hair care routine
It’s so important to give your hair some love, too! The best shower routine isn’t complete without a good hair care regimen. Start off with a nourishing shampoo and conditioner suited for your hair type. If you got dry or brittle strands, use a hydrating shampoo and deep conditioner. If you got oily strands, use a clarifying shampoo and lightweight conditioner.
Apart from that, here are my absolute favorite hair wash tips that I cannot do without –
- Always use your shampoo on the scalp and conditioner on the roots.
- Never ever, ever wash your hair with hot water. Warm will work.
- Instead of washing your hair by turning the neck and bringing them in the front, try washing them head straight and in the back for more tamed and less frizzy hair.
- Of course, conditioner is crucial every time you wash your hair, but also try to treat them with an extra boost of nourishment with a hair mask once a week.
- Wash your hair as and when they start to appear oily or dirty. Don’t wait for a particular day or something.
- Use a wet hair detangler afterward instead of just combing them normally.
- Oh, and never detangle them wet until it’s with a wet hair detangler.
9. Shave your body, if needed
It isn’t just about achieving silky smooth legs and underarms. It’s also about exfoliation too!
But don’t just grab any old razor, girlfriend. Pick a sharp one to avoid those pesky nicks and cuts. And oh, don’t forget the shaving cream or gel for the ultimate protection.
Once you’re done, pamper your skin with a moisturizer or lotion for ultimate comfort and amazing results.
Step 3: Post-Shower routine for glowing skin
10. Moisturize after showering to lock in moisture
After a nice, long shower (or bath), the key is to apply moisturizer on DAMP skin (slightly towel dry, of course) so that your skin holds the hydration in for long hours. Doing this will help keep it looking healthy and glowing all day long. You can also spritz on some facial toner for an extra hydration boost.
I alternate between quite a few body lotions. My number one favorite is CeraVe’s SA lotion (as I mentioned, I have bumpy skin). The other everyday basics are CeraVe’s daily moisturizing body lotion and Nivea’s essentially enriched body lotion.
11. For that added healthy glow, use body oil as well!
Most people would stop at moisturizer and call it a day. But if you’re up and about for that dewy, radiant, glowing skin, consider adding a lightweight, fast-absorbing body oil at the end of your shower.
Not only will it add the extra moisturization, but the glow you’ll see will be INSANE!
my fav body oils
Daily Moisturizing body oil mist
Aveeno is one such brand that rarely disappoints. This body oil mist is super lightweight and so damn hydrating that your skin will look newer than ever!
If you want a simple, nice, lightweight and insanely fast-absorbing formula, this is the way to go!
12. Finish off with a refreshing body mist & then a perfume
Wanna know the secret to feeling energized and positive all day long? It’s all in the smell, baby! That’s right – a refreshing body mist and a spritz of your fave perfume is the perfect finishing touch to your shower time routine.
Not only will it leave you smelling divine, but studies show that smelling good can actually make you feel good and attract good vibes your way. So go ahead and treat yourself to a scent that makes you feel relaxed and happy, and spray it all over your body for a sweet dose of self-care.
13. Oh, also, do your skincare routine after this WITH sunscreen
The key to stunning, glowing skin is a top-notch skincare routine. I’m talking after-shower, pre-perfume type of deal.
Oh, and don’t forget the SPF – it’s your secret weapon against those pesky sun rays. Give your skin the love it deserves by slathering on all your favorite serums, moisturizers, and masks for a mega dose of hydration.
What are the Benefits of Having A Proper Shower Routine For Glowing Skin?
- Deep cleansing by removing dirt and impurities from the surface of the skin.
- Improved blood circulation helps promote cell turnover.
- Reduced inflammation due to exfoliation.
- Hydrated and nourished skin.
- Reduced acne breakouts.
- Brighter complexion.
- Softened wrinkles.
- Younger-looking appearance.
- More confident feeling about yourself.
Final thoughts on shower routine for glowing skin
All in all, showering is an essential part of your daily skincare routine. It helps to keep your skin looking and feeling its best. And if you want to up the ante, add some of these shower routine steps into your daily regime to really get that skin glowing!
Give some of these hacks a try and let me know how they work out for you – I can’t wait to hear what you think. With this ‘shower power’, who knows what else could be accomplished?
Till then, xoxo!
Related articles to shower routine for glowing skin
- 12 Best Face Oils For Gua Sha To Get Glowing Healthy Skin Instantly
- How To Get Glowing Skin Overnight
- 15 Best Korean Exfoliators To Polish Away Dead Skin