I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
If you’re looking for a new and exciting way to incorporate the ordinary for oily skin, look no further than These magical products & skincare regime!
Do you have oily skin that just won’t quit? If so, I know exactly how you feel. For years, I tried to battle my slick T-zone with a myriad of expensive products and treatments – but nothing seemed to work!
That was until I discovered The Ordinary; a skincare brand that has made waves in the beauty community for its high-quality products at incredibly affordable prices.
In this blog post, we are going to explore everything The Ordinary has to offer for oily skin – from magical serums to effective skincare routines – plus some bonus tips and tricks on how best to use each product.
Today is your first step towards gaining control over your skin (and wallet!) – let’s go!
Why choose The Ordinary for oily skin?
The Ordinary is a great choice for oily skin because all of its products are specifically formulated to help balance the skin and reduce excess oil. Their products contain potent ingredients, such as niacinamide, salicylic acid, and AHAs, which help to gently exfoliate the skin and remove any build-up of dirt, oil, or acne-causing bacteria that can lead to blocked pores and acne.
The Ordinary also has a range of lightweight moisturizers that hydrate the skin without leaving it feeling greasy or contributing to further sebum production. Plus, their products are affordable, so you can enjoy a high-quality skincare routine without breaking the bank!
Best The ordinary products for oily skin
1. Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%
Honestly, it was not until recently, when I started using azelaic acid in my regime, that someone suggested that my acne scars would be grateful for this superstar, so I gave it a quick try.
Truly one of the most magical products for oily skin, azelaic acid is a powerhouse ingredient that helps to regulate oil production, thus reducing breakouts and the shiny appearance significantly. Not to forget, it’s your sure-shot way to say bye-bye to redness and discoloration from blemishes and acne marks.
This formula offers a very high 10% concentration of high-purity Azelaic Acid in a lightweight cream-gel system. All in all, it is a multi-tasking support ingredient for all skin types, especially oily, and also acts as an effective antioxidant.
2. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
My precious secret to glowing skin, I feel blessed for the day I started incorporating this in my daily routine. Niacinamide is an impressive multitasker too.
Known for its ability to improve the appearance of the skin, it helps to tackle inflammation, redness, oiliness, hyperpigmentation, acne, aging signs—you name it! With the goodness of niacinamide’s sebum-regulating properties and zinc’s anti-acne and anti-inflammatory ones, you really have to trust me when I say that this, indeed, is one of the best The Ordinary products for oily skin.
When are you welcoming radiant, oil-free skin, huh?
3. Salicylic Acid 2% Solution
If you don’t already know, salicylic acid is one such product that doctors will blindly recommend for oily skin. Whether in cleansers, serums, or masks, you cannot ignore the efficacy of this gorgeous BHA (beta hydroxy acid).
The Ordinary has also made full utilization of this magic potion with varied products, and this 2% solution is one of them. I also love their masque as it provides more intense exfoliation, but the serum is an excellent yet subtle way to start incorporating gentle exfoliation into your routine.
This SA serum can help unclog pores, reduce the appearance of blemishes, and prevent future breakouts. It can be used daily or as needed, making it a convenient option for those with oily, acne-prone skin.
4. Glycolic acid toner
Another wonderful, wonderful The Ordinary product for oily skin has to be its viral glycolic acid toner. Not only is it fabulous at exfoliating your skin gently, but it is also one of the best ingredients for unclogging pores and removing dead skin cells, which in return helps regulate oil production in the skin, giving you a more balanced, matte complexion.
I haven’t used The Ordinary’s tonner, but I do use Pixi’s, and both are of almost the same potency, so I totally stand by the claims of what AHAs like glycolic acid do to oily skin (only gooooood things, babe ;).
5. AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
If you think I am going on and on about yet another product on the list, it is because I am. These are true gems, and you’re fleeing from the best skin if you’re not using them.
If you’re struggling with oily to excessively oily skin, acne, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation, this is your one-stop solution for all of that. It’s one of the best yet cheapest facials I’ve ever gotten (and it undoubtedly works wonders).
I have a full peeling solution review here but in short, it is jam-packed with AHAs and BHAs that are one of the most pristine ingredients to gently exfoliate the skin, unclog pores, get rid of blackheads, whiteheads, and excessive oiliness to leave you with softest, most supple skin you’ll ever touch.
6. Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%
If the above seems too harsh for you, or you are just beginning with exfoliation and don’t wanna risk it, I’d suggest you start with lactic acid. It is a gentle way to say hi to improved skin texture and more youthful skin (yep, it has anti-aging properties as well 😉
Plus, it is superb for controlling a shiny complexion! I haven’t yet committed to it fully, but my friend (who has oily but extremely sensitive skin) always raves about it.
7. Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA
As an oily skin gal, I have tried my fair share of moisturizers, and I do have my absolute favs.
Even though this one doesn’t possess any dramatically unique characteristics, it still is pretty good, considering that it is non-comedogenic (which means it doesn’t clog pores or cause breakouts), lightweight, absorbs quickly, and is non-greasy.
Not to forget, the glycerin, ceramides, urea, and other fatty acids do moisturize your oily skin just enough, so you really don’t need anything else.
How to build the best the ordinary skincare routine for oily skin
Now the fun part: choosing and stacking together the best products for your skin and concern in a regime you can follow every day to keep oily skin at bay. I have a detailed article on how to build The Ordinary skincare routine here and another one on How to layer The Ordinary products – as you know, the vast pool of active ingredients can easily go wrong if not used with due diligence.
Anyhow, let’s curate you a stunning skincare routine with The Ordinary for oily skin!
Your morning skincare routine should look like cleanser < toner < antioxidant serum < eye cream < spot treatment < moisturizer < face oil < sunscreen. And for the night, you must follow – double cleansing < toners/boosters < eye cream < treatment < serum < moisturizer. Now you don’t have to follow every step, but only the ones that you can think concerns your skin issue.
That being said, here’s what The Ordinary skincare routine for oily skin should be in the morning:
- Squalane cleanser – the one and only cleanser that they have. But it’s so gentle that it works for everyone. (I would though, recommend you use any other brand’s exfoliating cleanser. I’m in love with CeraVe’s SA cleanser or Cetaphil’s exfoliating cleanser).
- Glycolic acid toner – is an excellent exfoliator and gets rid of dead skin cells in just one swipe.
- Niacinamide + zinc – I LOVE it for brightening and waking up my face in the morning. Plus, acne scars stay away too. Also, Glycolic acid and niacinamide are a superstar duo together!
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – Seal everything in with a lightweight emulsion that won’t clog your pores.
- Mineral UV Filters SPF 30 – Especially important because of all the active ingredients you used, like glycolic acid and niacinamide.
You could switch niacinamide with any other antioxidant serum you like. Use azelaic acid if your focus is controlling oil and fading away acne scars. Go for salicylic acid serum if you want to tackle active acne. Lactic is also a great choice for people who would like gentle exfoliation every day.
However, don’t use too many exfoliating products in a regime. For instance, if you choose to use CeraVe or Cetaphil’s exfoliating cleanser, followed by a glycolic acid toner, then salicylic or lactic acid serum would not be an ideal addition.
And for the night, stick to this for the best results:
- Squalane cleanser – The basic.
- The Ordinary peeling solution – Use it once or twice a week only. It’s super effective for combating acne, scars, hyperpigmentation, congestion, and black/whiteheads that you’ll get obsessed.
- Or Salicylic Acid 2% Masque – If you want a gentler version of the above peel. It deep cleanses and removes dead skin cells and excess oil to promote soft and smooth skin.
- Niacinamide + zinc – For brightening, hydrating, and healthy skin to wake up to.
- Caffeine solution 5% – if you struggle with dark circles.
- Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA – The usual moisturizing emulsion to lock everything in!
And that is how you roll! Umm, okay, how you roll away excess oil from your skin. (Yep, better.)
Some tips before you start using the ordinary for oily skin
- You already know the drill – layer your water-based solutions from thinnest to thickest. For instance, cleanser comes foremost, and serum comes prior to moisturizer.
- Create your own custom-made solution by combining different products from The Ordinary to attack specific concerns. For instance, mix Niacinamide with Salicylic Acid Solution for a double whammy against oil and acne.
- The maximum number of serums you can use in one skincare routine is THREE. More is not merrier here. If you’re using more than one serum, make sure you’re layering the one that tackles your skin concerns the most, followed by other serums.
- Use your The Ordinary products at the right time for maximum effectiveness. For example, apply Niacinamide and Zinc in the morning to regulate oil production throughout the day.
- No matter what your skin type, always protect your skin with broad-spectrum sunscreen. Possibly a mattifying one will do you good.
My experience using The ordinary for oily skin
As a skincare enthusiast, my skin has been exposed to numerous brands and products so it really sticks when a brand works more than they claim to.
My experience using The Ordinary for oily skin has been nothing short of a revelation! I was looking for skincare to specifically target my excessively shiny forehead and nose, and these products have done just the trick.
Unlike so many other brands that promise the world, The Ordinary delivers! Playing with active ingredients in skincare is nerve-wracking, but they make it easy and effective. I have to give in and say that my skin feels sooo fresh and nourished without being overwhelmed by heavy oils or scents.
It’s like it’s got its own special glow if you will. And better yet – using their products has helped reduce redness and acne flare-ups 100x better – talk about ‘hallelujah’ moments!
Parting thoughts on the ordinary for oily skin
If you’ve been looking for a way to address your oily skin, then The Ordinary might just be your saving grace. Their selection offers products that will cleanse, tone, and hydrate–all while controlling oil production.
Not to mention that following their suggested routine is easy, and all items are affordable enough that you can keep up with your new regime without breaking the bank. At this point, there really isn’t any reason why these products shouldn’t be part of your skincare arsenal!
So what’re you waiting for? Hop on the bandwagon and let The Ordinary save the day!
Related articles to the ordinary for oily skin
- The Best The Ordinary Skincare Routine For Acne
- Why Is My Face So Oily All Of A Sudden?
- Does Oily Skin Need A Moisturizer? YES, And Here’s Why!
- 17 Best Drugstore Vitamin C Serums For Radiant Skin