I only recommend products I love and I think you will, too. If you click on links I provide, I may receive a little compensation. Learn more.
Beauty on a budget? Yes, please! Here’s a beginner’s makeup kit for all my girliesss!
There’s something fascinating about the world of makeup. It looks so welcoming yet quite overwhelming. The sheer variety of makeup products is enough to keep you perplexed throughout your entire lifetime.
If you are someone who is new to the world of makeup, has the urge to learn this art of beauty and yet don’t know from where to start, this article is all you need.
Yes, babe! Today I am going to help you commence a new journey that involves appealing, useful, yet pocket-friendly makeup products.
Whether you are a teenager, a college fresher or a working professional, whether you are an athlete, a busy mommy or an experienced lady in her 50s, know that it is never too early or late to apply makeup. You just have to know the right products as per your skin type and tone, and you are good to go.
If you are a beginner and wish to curate your very own makeup kit but running on a shoestring budget, I have got you covered. Your girl will be helping you with the most amazing and cost-effective makeup products that you will love to use on your skin.
I can see how excited you are to know more about this budget-friendly makeup kit for beginners. So, let’s get started without any delay!
A Sneak Peek Into the Basic Makeup Kit for Beginners on a Budget!
If makeup is an art, you can be the artist (only if you have the right products😅)
So, if you are gradually entering into this colorful and fun-filled world of makeup, the first step you should take is to prepare a beginner-friendly makeup kit. I know at this moment, you are not willing to spend bombs on premium makeup items. So, I have enlisted some of the most affordable makeup products that you should include in your first-ever makeup kitty.
What do you need in a basic makeup kit for beginners?
- Setting powder
- Eyeshadow palette
- Eyebrow products
- Setting spray
Base makeup essentials
1. Primer for smoother skin and longer staying power
Shop The Look
Just like how you warm up before getting started with those intense workout moves, your skin needs preparation before applying makeup to it. Primer is the first thing you should apply on your face after skincare and before starting with makeup.
Basically, a primer preps up your skin and smoothens it out so that the makeup application feels seamless. So, how to choose the right primer for your skin type? Consider –
- What is your skin type? Oily skin should look for primers that contain mattifying ingredients like silica or clay. If you have dry skin, look for a hydrating primer with glycerin or hyaluronic acid as the top ingredients.
- Do you have large pores, redness, or dry patches? Look for a primer that addresses these concerns.
- Do you want a matte or dewy finish? You can choose a product that gives you your desired finish.
- And make sure the primer you choose works well with your foundation formula. For instance, a silicone-based primer may work well with a silicone-based foundation.
Shop The Look
After primer, you would apply foundation on your face and neck. Now, there are different types of foundations based on the coverage you need –
- Full coverage – it has a heavy texture but attempts to cover every last spot or hyperpigmentation on the face.
- Medium coverage – neither too heavy nor lightweight, but covers skin texture moderately. Is sometimes buildable
- Low coverage – barely feels on the skin. It is heavier than tinted moisturizer or BB/CC cream but a lot lighter than medium or full-coverage foundations. Used for a more natural makeup look.
Also, they can be matte or dewy in texture, depending on the makeup finish you need. Mostly, oily-skin people choose a matte finish and dry-skin people go for a dewy one.
Foundations come in different textures, such as creamy, powder, liquid as well as pressed. Liquid is a very versatile texture that gels well with almost every skin type but pressed powder foundation is mainly made for oily skin people and creamy foundation is for dry skin.
Try different shades on your cheeks and not your neck until you find the one which comes closest to your natural skin tone. Remember that the idea is to enhance your skin tone and not create that haunted “vampire complexion.”
Shop The Look
Now comes the concealing part 😉
We all have acne scars, uneven skin tones, dark circles, etc. And this is where a concealer comes in handy.
Since you are a complete beginner, I would suggest you go with something that is easy to apply or maybe comes with an applicator. Also, it would be better if the formulation is oil-free and suitable for sensitive skin types. This way, the product can be used by all skin types.
Now, if you have already applied foundation, you can easily use a medium-coverage concealer. However, if you are someone who prefers light or medium coverage foundation, then it is better to choose a full-coverage concealer.
4. Setting/finishing powder
Shop The Look
To set the base in place and avoid smudging your foundation and concealer, it is necessary that you dab the finishing powder all over your face next. This not only makes your makeup long-lasting but also prevents smudging, excessive sweating and so on.
5. contour or bronzer
Shop The Look
Now as a beginner, you might think they both are the same things, but it’s not.
Contour is all about creating dimension, bringing in shadows to sculpt your face and define your features. It’s a pro technique to make you look sharp and chiseled. Whereas bronzer is more about warmth, adding a sun kissed glow and making you look like you just spent the day on the beach.
So, if you want to achieve some cheekbones that could cut glass and make your face a little less round, the contour is your best friend. But, if you wanna bring your face to life and get a healthy-looking radiance, bronzer is your go-to-buddy.
Also, remember that contour will always be matte, while bronzers can be matte or shimmery. So it all depends upon your choice.
They also come in cream, powder, or stick form, and I think the powder is the easiest to start with. You get more control on hand, and they are also easier to blend.
Shop The Look
Who does not love that tint of pink or red on the cheek? It makes you look healthy, happy, and alive, LOL.
So, before you get yourself a pocket-friendly blush, check a few things, such as how pigmented it is, whether the ingredients are skin-sensitive or not, and whether or not the blush is long-lasting.
Now, among liquid, cream, powder blush and cheek tint, how to decide what’s the best match for you? So consider these things before buying a blush to add to your makeup starter kit –
- Are you fair, medium, or deep? Opt for muted, lighter colors for fair complexion and darker, brighter hues for others.
- Are your undertones cool or warm? For example, pink and berry shades look absolutely gorgeous on a cooler undertone, and peach and coral will be your BFF if you have a warmer undertone.
- Do you prefer powder, cream, or liquid blush? Powder blushes are great for all skin types and provide a more natural finish. Cream and liquid blushes work well for dry skin types and provide a dewy finish. While, cheek tints would work great for oily skin types.
- Do you want a matte or shimmer finish? Matte blushes provide a more natural finish, while shimmer blushes add a glowy effect.
Cream and liquid blushes are really easy to use for beginners, so they deserve a spot in your professional makeup kit, and then later, you can switch to powder blushes.
Shop The Look
Ever wondered what your favorite celebs do to get that magical glow on their face? Apart from the dewy makeup and the lights put out at strategic angles, they leverage highlighter generously.
Dust a little bit of your favorite highlighter on the bridge of your nose, over your cheekbones and just under your brows, and see the magic for yourself!
Lip products and tools
No makeup is complete without a flush of color on your lips. And, of course, we all can unanimously agree that we can’t have just one lipstick, even if it’s a makeup kit for beginners! Less is more does not apply to us in the case of lipsticks 😂
But, but, but….
If it’s your first time playing around with colors, this is the way I recommend everyone to go. First, choose nudes, then browns, pinks, maroons, and reds. This is the transition I want you to make. Because if you start with red, you’ll never love it, especially if you’re brown or black skin tone.
Oh, also don’t forget to apply lip balm prior, especially if you’re applying matte or liquid lipsticks.
9. Lip gloss
Now this is not an absolute essential, but seeing the recent trends, lip glosses have taken the world by storm. But you don’t need to spend tons on them.
The basic purpose of a gloss is to add an extra layer of sheen to the lip color to make the lips look pouty and luscious.
eye makeup essentials
Shop The Look
I don’t know about you, but mascara is an absolute essential in my beginner’s makeup bag to add definition to your eyes and make your eyelashes look longer and thicker.
- Waterproof mascara is perfect for those who have sensitive eyes or who live in humid climates. This type of mascara is resistant to both water and oil, making it less likely to smudge or run.
- Volumizing mascaras are ideal for those who want to achieve a bold, dramatic look. Choose one that’s lightweight and applies smoothly so you don’t end up looking like a clumpy caterpillar.
- Long lashes, don’t care! Lengthening mascaras are perfect for achieving gorgeous luscious lashes that’ll make everyone do a double-take.
- Curling mascaras – Want to really make those lashes pop? These beauties can help you achieve curled, voluminous lashes.
- Fiber mascaras – They are the answer to long and thick lashes.
- Gel mascaras – If natural is more your style, gel mascaras are a must-have. Made with a gel formula, you’ll get even coverage so you won’t look like you’re wearing any mascara at all.
11. Eye shadow
Shop The Look
Get yourself an eyeshadow palette that comprises a few bright colors, a couple of pastel shades, and quite a few nude colors. For the daytime, you can go for pastel shades and nude colors. For evening dates and night outs, opt for bright colors or shimmery shades.
As a beginner, you must know that there are different types of eye shadows available, such as –
- Pressed Powder: Simple and versatile, this classic eyeshadow comes in a variety of finishes for any mood.
- Loose Powder: Looking for a bolder color payoff? Try loose powder for a more intense look.
- Cream: Get creamy with it! This formula is great for blending and creating all kinds of eye looks.
- Gel: A gel-like consistency makes this eyeshadow super easy to apply and blend for natural or dramatic effects.
- Liquid: Turn liquid into powder with this unique formula that dries down for a matte or shimmery finish.
- Pencil: Quick and easy, pencils are perfect for creating smoky looks or using as eyeliner. Plus, some come with built-in brushes!
- Mineral: For a gentle yet effective option, try mineral eyeshadows that don’t look caked on.
- Foiled: Get ready to shine with a metallic finish that packs a pigment punch. Perfect for creating drama or using it as eyeliner.
- Glitter: Who said you can’t have a little extra sparkle in your life? Glitter eyeshadows add that extra pizzazz, just make sure to use a primer to prevent fallout.
- Magnetic: Create your own custom shades with magnetic eyeshadows that allow you to mix and match colors with ease. It’s like having your own personal eyeshadow palette!
Choose the one that you feel is easy to apply. I would suggest you start with pressed eyeshadow palettes.
12. Eyebrow products
Shop The Look
Whether you have bushy brows or sparse ones, get your hands on a few eyebrow products like an eyebrow-setting gel and an eyebrow pencil. Defining your eyebrows can be a total game-changer for your overall appearance.
Basically, the gel would help you set your brows in any specific way you want them to. It makes them straight and shapely. And eyebrow pencils further add depth to your eyebrows. They make your eyebrows look thicker and fuller.
Shop The Look
To add that element of drama to your dreamy eyes, girl, you have got to use intense eyeliner. Black eyeliners are a MUST. And to get that funky and raw look, you can even invest in a few colored eyeliners, such as red, dark blue, green, golden and silver.
I am more of a mascara gal than an eyeliner one but I strongly recommend this NYX epic ink liner. It is the only eyeliner I love and use!!
14. Setting spray
Shop The Look
Honey, setting sprays are no joke. And just applying makeup is not enough. You need to take ample care so that it does not get smudged and lasts longer than your soul on this planet.
15. Makeup brushes, blenders and tools
No matter how much you splurge on your makeup, if you do not have the right brushes, applying makeup products would seem like a BIG DEAL. After all, you just cannot apply everything on your face with just your fingers!
So as a beginner, add makeup brushes, eyelash curlers, and beauty blenders are non-negotiable in your makeup kits
So, do not forget this makeup essential in your beginner-friendly makeup kit. I would suggest you go for a Real technique makeup brush set.
Hands down, it is one of the best makeup brush sets in the budget that I have come across. The pieces are segmented for dry and wet application, and the bristles feel so soft on your skin. The kit also comes with beauty blenders and cleaning mitts.
15. Makeup remover
Once you are back from that crazy party, do not sleep on your makeup, babe! Use makeup wipes to remove all the foundation, concealer, blush, lipstick etc., from your face and neck gently.
Final Thoughts on Makeup Kit for Beginners on a Budget!
Curating a makeup kit from scratch and within a limited budget is a skill indeed! And if you know your skin type and the relevant products, you will notice how flawless your makeup looks.
I have done all the research work just for you so that you do not have to do it all by yourself. From primer to concealer, from foundation to moisturizer, you will get it all here.
Stick to these products as per your budget and skin type, and your makeup game will improve many times.
Darling! I know how overwhelming it gets at times, as the online and offline world is filled with endless makeup options and beauty advice and suggestions. But fret not! You have got this. Just get your affordable makeup kit ready, and you, my dear, will be ready to kill with those stunning looks 🥵
See you soon, boo!
Related articles to basic Makeup Kits for Beginners on a budget
- Expiration Date For Makeup: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Makeup For Older Women – Top Products And Tips
- How To Mix Foundation With Moisturizer For Glowing Skin